How to be a 5 Rhythms teacher?
- Training is a path of preparation towards mastery to integrate the healing model that the 5 Rhythms represent. This path requires consistency, humility and the commitment of personal work and continuous learning. Future teachers are trained to direct students in the practice of the 5 Rhythms.
- It is a long and intense process that includes 3 modules held in USA by authorised teachers, some work and community service.
- It is a process that demands much dedication and commitment. Only those willing to devote themselves passionately to it should apply. Apart from the time and financial investment needed, this journey can take you to wild places, of trance, to confront the traps of the ego, enjoy the relationship with an international community, go through tiredness, sweating, doubts, blessed mistakes and deep service.
- We suggest you take a deep breath and consider if you really want to start this path. It is important to distinguish clearly between the love of the work in the 5 Rhythms and the call to hold the space for the work of others. This calling implies working deeply and as often as possible. This is not a list of workshops you must “do” assuming that after doing so you will be prepared. Some people may meet all the requirements and not be more prepared than when they began.
¿Do you have enough discipline to be free?
- Gabrielle Roth
The prerequisites were created so that aspiring teachers understand that it is essential to have a level of previous experience to become a good teacher. The requirements are a series of workshops that make up a training programme. To prepare oneself to teach this work is something very serious and there is a specific reason for each prerequisite.
- WAVES: At least 400 hours of practice with qualified 5 Rhythms® teachersWhen you move deeply with the 5 Rhythms any corner of your psyche can move with the dance. You are advised to dance as much as possible to bring about these discoveries. You need sufficient experience to move forward between movement and paralysis, between resistance and total surrender. You need to discover what happens when you let go and let the dance take you, when you allow the dance to sustain your broken heart, your joy, your celebration. This takes time. This requires practicing over and over year after year. It is a pilgrimage. If you have not yet entered into that deep journey towards yourself, how do you expect others to do it when the crucial moments arrive in your class?
- HEARTBEAT: A minimum of 15 days of studyYes, we need you to know your own heart. You need to know the movement of this energy: what happens when your students get angry with each other or with you, what happens when your students get stuck in fear or paralysed in anger… Your own heart will have to be fluid and have space to move all this. Try to make sure that your own heart is always in the dance room, present and available. Students tend to give us the “chance” opportunity of being mirrors for us and reflecting recurring experiences in our life or issues that are still stuck or closed that need to be healed. Of course they also make us visit those places where our heart opens and fills completely.
- CYCLES: A minimum of 15 days of study
And what happens when a student that is mad at you reminds you of your mother or when another is struggling with his or her father’s death and you have not spoken to yours for over 10 years? What happens with the work of older people approaching their own death pretending to be in good shape in front of a room full of twenty-somethings that can dance all night? The work of knowing and understanding the cycles of life is crucial. They will appear to you as you watch over and follow your students’ progress, and you must know how to recognise them and honour them.
- MIRRORS: A minimum of 10 days of study preferably moreTeaching is one of the best ways to take the monster of your own ego out for a walk. For this work to be led by the soul and not by the ego it is essential to allow yourself to be placed in the hands of those of have done enough inner work on themselves to know the character and movements of their own ego and the ego of others. It is important to know how your ego gets its own way, in which snaking ways (though predictable) it sometimes moves. You are not required to make your entire ego disappear (something that is impossible), nor to heal completely (something that is unlikely) when you do the training. Nevertheless it is essential to practice this work through the mirrors over and over again until you become sufficiently familiar with the movements of your own ego so that you know when it is in the room teaching the class for you.
- You have to have a minimum of 2 years practice of the 5 Rhythms
Being a 5 Rhythms teacher implies being an authentic, vulnerable yet courageous person, completely human, somebody who has moved and worked on his or her own shadow enough to accompany others on the journey.
All the courses and workshops that Alain Allard teaches in Spain count as accredited hours in the different levels, to be able to access the training.
The following point will be valued:
- STUDYING WITH DIFFERENT 5 RYTHM TEACHERS
We encourage you to work with one of the main teachers and to try different teaching styles with different teachers. You will learn different things from each of them; you will breathe different ways of being a teacher. It is very important that you find your own style, that you be yourself. We respect and value difference. Working with many teachers helps you to not have a single image of how to be a teacher and we trust that this will free you and allow you to find your own individual style.